Mission (as declared by the congregation):
We are an inclusive community of faith, strengthened by joyful hearts and engaged minds.
Vision (as summarized from 2016 listening session and survey):
We want to continue to grow as open-minded, accepting, welcoming people who are committed to being a progressive voice and to responding to social justice issues in our area. We affirm the value of all human beings, including marginalized persons and persons of all faiths and cultures. We intend to grow in our faith by encouraging spiritual curiosity, focusing on doing worship with spiritual intensity and depth, and better equipping ourselves to care for people. We wish to continue to grow in numbers as well, and particularly want to see a renewed and enhanced campus young adult ministry with an active college campus presence. We would like an active children’s and teen ministry. Our use of technology is expanding; we are eager to more competently portray our faith, our church, and our commitments in an online environment.
1: To faithfully explore our role as a mission church
- 1A To actively welcome all persons to worship with us and to be with us as we grow in both what we know and what we do
- 1B To engage in dialogue with people of many faiths and cultures and to build our skills in finding common ground
2: To build our skills in caring for people, particularly people in transition
- 2A To identify the kinds of transitions people experience in our community
- 2B To encourage conversations about the specific needs of people in transition
- 2C To build collective and individual skills in caring for people in transition
3: To live out our Oasis calling, to stand with and love the LGBTQ people in our community
- 3A To work with LGBTQ groups to identify needs and ways to serve those needs
- 3B To provide a space in our community where discussions about marginalization can take place and to deepen our understanding of the practices of marginalization
- 3C To use our bodies and voices to resist the practices of marginalization
4: To encourage each other to use our time, talents and treasure for the work of the Spirit
- 4A To help each other identify specific talents and to consider how they might be used
- 4B To find ways to care for each other and protect each other from burnout
5: To revitalize our college student/young adult ministry
- 5A To Increase the number of face-to-face contacts with students
- 5B To effectively use social media to provoke discussion, connection, and action
- 5C To organize and coordinate events with others/groups in the area
6: To support/work toward greater food security in NE Missouri
- 6A To continue productive work with PAC to obtain adequate county pantry space.
- 6B To work with the Food Bank of NE and Central Missouri to meet the needs of children (Food 4 Kids, Buddy Backpacks).
- 6C To support Christian Community Food Depot (weekly food donations and Fill the Ford)
- 6D To work effectively with others to identify effective, healthful ways to serve the hungry.
7: To deepen our understanding and to intensify our work regarding accessibility
- 7A To pay off the building
- 7B To study accessibility in adult formation
- 7C To develop an accessibility plan that uses our accessible space as a starting point
8: To frame a more active children’s / youth program
- 8A To work with our families to better understand the needs of their children and how we might better serve them.
- 8B To continue to participate in interdenominational youth work.